Some very interest statistics have been released from HM Revenue & Customs regarding this year’s self assessment returns, a brief summary is below:
- a record 9.61 million tax returns were filed on time
- 730,000 people will be receiving late filing penalties (just over 7%)
- a record 82.5% of tax returns were sent online
- the busiest submission day was (unsurprisingly 31 January) when over 6% of all submitted returns were filed
- The busiest hour of submission was between 4pm and 5pm on 31 January when 46,000 returns were submitted (nearly 13 per second).
- 1,548 people submitted their tax return on Christmas Day