Investment Reliefs 2016/17
Annual investment limits
|Individual Savings Account (ISA)||£15,240||£15,240|
|Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS)||1,000,000||1,000,000|
|Seed EIS (SEIS)||100,000||100,000|
|Venture Capital Trust (VCT)||200,000||200,000|
|Social Investment Tax Relief (SITR)||1,000,000||1,000,000|
- ISA investors can invest in any combination of cash or shares up to the limits shown.
- Junior ISA is available to UK residents aged under 18 and who don’t have a Child Trust Fund account. When the holder reaches age 18, their junior ISA becomes an adult ISA.
- EIS, VCT and SITR investments made within the limits shown attract 30% Income Tax relief, but those schemes all have different qualifying rules.
- SEIS investments attract 50% Income Tax relief.
- Where the disposal proceeds from any capital gain are reinvested under EIS or SITR in the four-year period that starts one year before the date of the gain, all or part of the original gain can be deferred.
- Gains reinvested under SEIS up to the investment limit attract 50% exemption from CGT.
- Investments made under EIS, SEIS and SITR can be carried back to be treated as made in the previous tax year, subject to the investment limits.
- Disposals of investments acquired under EIS, SEIS, SITR or VCT are exempt from CGT if investment conditions have not been broken.