Capital Allowances 2018/19
Plant and machinery
|Period of expenditure from||1.4.2018||1.4.2016|
|Annual Investment Allowance 100%||£200,000||£200,000|
|Writing down allowance – general pool||18%||18%|
|Writing down allowance – special rate pool||8%||8%|
- Neither capital expenditure nor depreciation is generally allowed as an expense.
- The writing down allowance spreads the cost over several years, and is not related to the accounting depreciation.
- Special rate pool includes long life assets, plant integral to buildings and thermal insulation.
| ||CO2 emissions of vehicle (g/km) |
|100%||Up to 50||Up to 75|
|18% pa (in general pool)||Up to 110||Up to 130|
|8% pa (in special rate pool)||Above 110||Above 130|
- The 100% allowance is only available if the car is acquired new, not second-hand.
- If purchased before April 2013, the 8% allowance only applies to cars with CO2 emissions over 160g/km.
- Unincorporated businesses: the allowance is reduced for private use of the car.